Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Santigold Shuts Down Terry Urban's Mixtape?

header-stop-2

via. TPPS.

**The song we leaked last week was supposed to be off of this DOPE idea... Its a shame because Terry truly cares about spreading the music and integrating fan bases.**

Hello world…

This is your friendly neighborhood deejay, Terry Urban… blogging live on ThePressPlayShow.com

As many of you know, I’ve been preparing to releasing an exciting mixtape this summer called Southerngold.

Basically, me mixing my favorite Southern rap vocals over remixed samples of my favorite Santigold influenced samples and tracks…

I may be biased, but to be honest, it turned out quite cool, as many of you who downloaded the teaser leak (f/ Chip Tha Ripper) can attest…

However, as I am about to release my mix on the internet tonight… literally, I am sitting at my desk in Brooklyn uploading the mix to YouSendIt.com… I get a cease and desist from lawyers at Santigold’s label… Downtown Records…

Now, my friends on these internets, I ask you this: Why is this happening?

I’m not selling this… I’m not making a dime… I’m encouraging everyone to BUY Santigold’s album… and I’m helping to expand her fan base to new markets… in addition, none of these songs are as they would appear on her actual album… EVERYTHING is remixed and redone… so there is no competition with her actual in-stores album (which is dope…go buy it… two copies!)

Is Downtown Records not aware of the influence deejay culture has made on Santi’s career? All the deejays who have made homemade remixes and re-edits that have gotten play in clubs across the world? It’s not like commercial radio was embracing her music when she dropped. It was the progressive deejay, the same deejays who make remixes and mashups and support avant-garde creative music!

It’s ironic that Downtown Records biggest group was signed due to a project with similar ambitions… Gnarls Barkley’s Danger Mouse with The Grey Album.

So… I ask you… what should I do?

And if you know Santi personally… can you ask her for me? Why is she shutting down the very deejays who will support her to the very end? Her first single was called “Creator” yet they shut down the very people who create?

I wonder if she is even aware of this bureaucracy behind this…

It’s crazy… and I hope soon that the world can hear the project I created in honor of Santigold

Sincerely,
Terry Urban

Ps. My friends… a parable for you on this evening: If Santigold truly wants Brooklyn To Go Hard, and I’m a Brooklyn resident trying to Go Hard… and she shuts it down, is Brooklyn, by default, not going hard?

4 comments:

The Mayor said...

doesnt that kinda defeate the purpose of the whole 'mix tape rap' genre??? sounds like some dumb shit to me

CaliforniaSoul said...

Its like she stopped someone from promoting her music for free

Bad move

Jamie Slade said...

"Ps. My friends… a parable for you on this evening: If Santigold truly wants Brooklyn To Go Hard, and I’m a Brooklyn resident trying to Go Hard… and she shuts it down, is Brooklyn, by default, not going hard?"

hahahaha

but for real, i want this tape.

Sui Generis said...

damn thats messed up/1